Did you know your skin is your largest organ? Along with being exceedingly large, it is also one of your body’s most versatile organs. From protection, to allowing movement, to acting as a sensor, your skin allows you to interact with the physical world in a way that wouldn’t be possible without it.
You might be wondering, okay cool, but what does that mean. This means that it is important to care for your skin and treat it with love. You might have heard the saying, “What you put on your body is just as important as what you put in your body” (Down to Earth.org). This is important, because your skin absorbs things that are put on it and those things can seep into our bloodstream and spread throughout our bodies.
A great way to take care of your skin and make sure you are putting healthy things on it is to use clean beauty products. Sephora has an entire clean beauty section of their store. Clean beauty at Sephora means “formulated without parabens, sulfates SLS and SLES, phthalates, mineral oils, formaldehyde, and more”.
Disclaimer: I am not a dermatologist, cosmetologist, or professional in this field. These are simply my opinions and facts that I have researched. I have linked my sources down below for you to check out if you are curious!
Some of my favorite clean beauty products:
- Biossance 100% Squalane Oil
- According to the Huff Post, “Human skin produces its own version of squalane called squalene, which the body uses to lock in moisture, [and] to stay healthy and hydrated”. Squalane oil, typically derived from plants, is perfect for moisturizing, reducing redness, softening the skin. Beauty bloggers and dermatologists alike have raged about squalane for its many skin benefits. I love my squalane oil, and use it on my face at night with a jade roller.
- Drunk Elephant Beste No. 9 Jelly Cleanser
- This cleanser does such a great job, I STAN for sure. After using this, my skin feels balanced, fresh, clean, and not completely stripped of all my natural oil. It does a great job of removing the day and getting off all the grossness after a workout. Lovely cleanser, I highly recommend.
- Tarte Rainforest of the Sea Foundation (SEA Water Foundation)
- I have been using this foundation since my freshman year of college. This stuff is amazing. It is so hydrating and doesn’t dry out your skin. It is water based, so you don’t have to worry about it clogging your pores or leaving an oily residue. It has Vitamin E in it, which is nourishing and helps aid the health of your skin.
- Tarte Quench Hydrating Primer
- I have been using this primer with the SEA water foundation since my freshman year. I love this primer and it is the perfect combination between tacky (to help your makeup stick) and smooth (it glides on your skin very nicely and doesn’t feel heavy or thick). I find that this primer doesn’t break out my skin and clog my pores. It is light, but gets the job done well.
- Coola Sunscreen
- I love this brand of sunscreen. This sunscreen smells better than that typical, icky sunscreen smell. They have so many great products, from tinted face sunscreen to sprays to lotions. This sunscreen is not only a clean beauty product, but is also REEF SAFE which is so important. Sunscreens with harsh chemicals and ingredients can do a lot of harm to not only our skin, but also our oceans and the ecosystems that live in the oceans. I love using this sunscreen, and another plus is that the packaging is really cute.
- Summer Fridays Jet Lag Mask
- This face mask is raved about everywhere. My sister loves it, and one of my roommates swears by it. This mask has been praised for providing intense hydration, resulting in beautiful and glowing skin. The one reason this mask didn’t make the cut: every time I try it, my entire face burns and turns bright red. I have tried it on more than one occasion, but with no success. Whether it is the other creams I use (I use a clindamycin phosphate and benzoyl peroxide cream as well as tretinoin cream) or an allergic reaction, my skin just doesn’t like this mask. HOWEVER, I have not heard anyone else have this problem amongst all the rave, so if you are timid then I recommend trying a test patch and proceeding from there.
These are my favorite clean beauty products that I use! I hope you were inspired to try something new or even try a clean beauty product for the first time!
PSA: If you haven’t gone outside today or done something active, this is the time! Go out and get some fresh air, or try a new at home workout you’ve been thinking about.
Check out Sephora’s clean beauty products here: