Good day to have a good day, isn’t it?
Happy plastic free July!!! I hope everyone is having a happy day and eliminating single use plastics from their lives! I am so excited to share this post with you all, as sustainability is kind of my thing. Ever wanted to start on a more environmentally conscious path, but didn’t know how or where to begin? You have come to the right place. In honor of plastic free July, I wanted to share with you the first changes I made to switch to a more sustainable lifestyle, and how you can make them too!
- Switch from plastic straws to reusable metal or bamboo straws!
- This 8” stainless steel straw from EcoRoots is only $3!!! https://ecoroots.us/products/stainless-steel-straw?variant=22748526116922
- Try shampoo and conditioner bars! These bars eliminate the need for excessive plastic packaging that normally comes with mainstream shampoo and conditioner.
- Go check out Lush! Lush has TONS of plastic free options from shampoo bars to conditioner bars to body butter bars to face cleanser bars to deodorant bars. All these products negate the need for plastic and are a great way to live more sustainability.
- Switch from single use ziploc bags to reusable ziploc bags!
- Switch from plastic bags in the grocery store to reusable produce bags and bring your own bags for checking out! I know this isn’t possible right now because of COVID-19, but keep this one in mind for the day when we are able to use reusable bags again!
- Walk or ride your bike whenever you can! It may be more convenient to drive somewhere, but think about all the carbon emissions that are flowing into the air because of it. Walking is not only good for the environment, but is a great form of exercise and has many health benefits.
- Health benefits of walking: https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/walking-your-steps-to-health
- Buy a cloth mask instead of using a bunch of disposable ones! There are so many places that are selling super cute masks right now.
- Black owned businesses are a great place to look for some really cute masks! https://stylecaster.com/black-owned-face-mask-businesses/
- Use bee’s wrap to wrap food and cover containers instead of plastic wrap!
- Last but certainly not least, buy a reusable water bottle. Drinking water is so important for staying healthy and hydrated. Having a reusable water bottle that you love with you all the time will encourage you to drink water and use less plastic water bottles.
And there you have it, some sustainable switches you can make today! Living a more sustainable lifestyle doesn’t just happen overnight. You have to make a conscious effort to understand what you are buying, where you are buying it from, and how it might impact the environment as a result. These are just some steps to get you started on your road to success, so feel free to build on to this list and always keep your eyes peeled for the more sustainable option!